Hi all, following on from yesterday (controlling your emotions) I thought I would write about preparation and negotiation. In order to prepare for negotiations throughout the divorce process it is a good idea to keep a list of things to consider, this can be in your head or written down.
Examples of what might be on your list are below:
- Is your attitude positive enough to negotiate?
- Can you listen without over reacting and losing your temper?
- Are you presuming that the outcome of negotiations will be fair?
- Do you know what is going to be offered to you?
- Do you know what you’re going to offer or do you plan to see what your ex-partner offers first?
- Do you have ways of keeping calm if the outcome is not looking positive?
When it comes to negotiation it is key to know your own strengths and weaknesses, it is best to delay negotiations until you are ready to display a positive attitude. Some people are naturally positive and optimistic which will be helpful, ‘Divorce Negotiator’ would never want you to hide this positivity as it helps to gain a successful outcome. Even if you are not a naturally positive person then you still need to achieve a positive outcome, don’t scowl or roll your eyes as this can anger your ex-partner which in turn will have a negative impact on the outcome.